Home About Chat Users Issues Party Candidates Polling Firms Media News Polls Calendar Key Races United States President Senate House Governors International

New User Account
"A comprehensive, collaborative elections resource." 
Email: Password:

  Questions surrounding convicted aide not likely to go away soon for Vitter
NEWS DETAILS
Parent(s) Race 
ContributorBrandonius Maximus 
Last EditedBrandonius Maximus  Jul 08, 2010 11:56am
Logged 0
CategoryGeneral
AuthorMike Hoss / Eyewitness News
News DateThursday, July 8, 2010 05:55:00 PM UTC0:0
DescriptionBATON ROUGE, La. -- On the first day of qualifying, Sen. David Vitter is facing more questions than just about his opponent, Rep. Charlie Melancon.

Brent Furer, an aide to Vitter, resigned last month after a story broke that Furer pleaded guilty in 2008 to holding a girlfriend at knifepoint and stabbing her in the hand.

For that incident Vitter disciplined Furer, but he remained on the staff.

But there were reportedly other brushes with the law including a DWI arrest in 2003.

When the Furer story broke, Vitter said he didn't know about his aide's prior arrest record.

"As I said very clearly, I had knowledge of the 2008 incident. He was disciplined. I had no knowledge of these prior events,” he said.

There were reports that not only did Furer remain on the staff, but that he was put in charge of women’s issues.

At qualifying on Wednesday, Vitter avoided direct questions about the incident, but rebuffed that allegation.

“And that’s just of several issues that have been completely misreported. Tonya Newman, Nicole Hebert in my office are assigned to those positions,” Vitter said. “That’s always been the case.”

But Beth Meeks, the executive director of the Louisiana Coalition Against Domestic Violence, said when she met with Furer in Washington two weeks prior to him resigning, Vitter's office portrayed Furer as the point man on women's issues.
Share
ArticleRead Full Article

NEWS
Date Category Headline Article Contributor

DISCUSSION